Saturday, September 7, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Day 6

Favorite Deity?

This is kind of a difficult question for me. I play cleric and druid types with much enjoyment but rarely are my characters terribly concerned about their patron deity. In campaigns I've run over the years I created multiple pantheons and plenty of NPCs who were motivated in one way or another by the deities from those pantheons; but while I have an authors pride in most of them I would hesitate to claim one as a favorite.

I'm going to go back to stories from Bulfinch's Mythology that I read long before I started gaming (before D&D was released, I'm getting up there). The story of Tyr agreeing to put his hand in the mouth of the Fenris Wolf to give surety for the truthfulness of the Aesir, knowing that he would lose the hand as a result, has always resonated with me. 

Tyr, Lawgiver, you are my favorite deity. Lawful Stupid, arguably, but as an exemplar of sacrifice for a greater good that I consider an important component of lawful alignment, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment