Monday, September 9, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Day 7

Favorite Edition?

This one seems to be an incitement to the kind of edition warring that led me to flee EnWorld. So let me preface my answer with a little background disclaimer. I have been playing D&D since 1978. In those 35 years I have played every edition ever printed and I have played all of them with pleasure for at least a couple of years each.

That said, my favorite edition is Gary's own Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. In a lot of ways I consider all of the OSR games that take the LBBs or Holmes or Moldvay/Cook or Mentzer editions and add something of their own to them as siblings of 1e AD&D. I love to pick and choose and grab the good stuff from any of them and in a lot of ways I really consider them all the same version. Not unlike the way we use to pick and choose what we were going to include in our campaigns from Unearthed Arcana or Judges Guild material or Arduin or Dragon articles.

These days I run Adventurer Conqueror King with a few bits pulled from AD&D.

No comments:

Post a Comment